Pocket operator with DATO

Hi!

How can I connect DATO to Pocket Operator? Which type of cable do I need in order to get the sound out of DATO?

I’m a super beginer. I Would like to play with these with my 8 year old daughter.

Thx

I’m not sure exactly what you mean by “get the sound out of DATO”, especially in the context of connecting the DATO to a Pocket Operator.

Do you mean you want to take the sound from the DATO and run it into other speakers?
Do you mean you want to play the DATO from the Pocket Operator?
Do you mean you want to play the Pocket Operator from the DATO?
Do you just want to sync the clocks so both DATO and Pocket Operator are playing at the same tempo (speed)?

As far as I know, there isn’t much you can do as far as connecting the Pocket Operator to the DATO except for syncing the clocks and even that will require some external equipment to work. If you just mean the first item above, playing the sounds louder, I use a standard 3.5mm headphone-type cable and connect to the AUX-in on a speaker or whatever (I’ve even done this to play over my car stereo a few times). You can do the same with the PO. If you want to do more than that (I assume you do but I’m just guessing), it’ll probably take some more equipment, if it is even possible. Pocket Operators aren’t made to do much as far as interacting with other hardware.

Let me know, we’ll help you figure something out!

Thank you for your fast response.

I would like to play bass and recorded stuff from the PO using the DATO built in speaker.

I don’t think you can do that. I don’t see any audio inputs mentioned for the Dato DUO. I think you would want to connect them both to other speakers instead.

However, I do see “3.5mm (1/8”) sync in and out" mentioned, so you could sync the clocks of both of your devices, that would help things sound better (assuming you have a speaker you can attach the Pocket Operator to so it can be heard over the Dato).

My son’s bluetooth speaker has an audio input, I normally use that when I play along on some other synth while he tweaks the sounds on the DUO.

For playing with a 8-year old, from my experience both the internal speakers of the Duo and the PO will work out just fine. So, just connect a standard stereo cable between Sync out on the Duo to Input on the PO. Then adjust the PO to work in SY2 mode described in the PO manual: https://teenage.engineering/guides/po-12/en

To get both units to sound through external speakers you’ll unfortunately need some kind of mixer or at least some kind of splitter cable.

Yes! The cable needed is one like this: https://www.thomann.de/es/native_instruments_traktor_dj_cable.htm?glp=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzZL-BRDnARIsAPCJs7147Sx7jjBULS3Jl49qMVkJnqi0NcXHdph3w-Yt6CdsJhe8nh6IAdIaAnWKEALw_wcB

(If you’re able, you can create your own cable, it’s simply a splitter that gets stereo male in one hand and two mono female outputs on the other.

Sorry for bring this topic up again but I just wanted confirmation if it possible to use the internal speakers of the Duo with a pocket operator? I’ve tried connecting via sync out on the duo to input of the PO with the PO in SY2 but the sounds are still independent. Any help in this would be much appreciated.

unfortunately there is no way to get the sound from the pocket operator to play through the DUO’s speakers. The DUO can only play its own sounds via the built-in speaker.

1 Like